[Nepomuk] Brainstorming: Metadata Sharing

Oszkar Ambrus aoszkar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 20:44:52 CEST 2010

Hi Vishesh,

On 28 June 2010 18:50, Vishesh Handa <handa.vish at gmail.com> wrote:
> Metadata sharing implies that we should be able to see other people's
> metadata and have it on are own system. Sebastian suggested that we store
> user information ( who owns which statements ) as graph metadata. That's
> totally feasible, and maybe we could also store the permission settings as
> graph metadata.

I'm thinking of permissions settings similar to how you share stuff
through Samba.
You can share your stuff with guests (i.e. everyone, without
authentication), with all known users (stored locally) or with a
subset of existing users.
The list of users could be stored locally as RDF and then, similarly
to what Sebastian suggested, statements can be annotated with the
graph meta-data to specify privileges.

> I'm not too sure how we would choose whose metadata to store our on system
> or why we would need to do that.

As for whose meta-data to store, would you like to go with a
high-level protocol, such as Jabber? So no low-level stuff?
Because, as I understood, the RDF repository is going to be exposed
through HTTP, so you could connect to anyone's repository and just
insert their address in the graph metadata of the statements you store
locally.

Cheers,
Oszkar