[Nepomuk] bibliography ontology

Tudor Groza tudor.groza at deri.org
Wed Jan 13 16:10:24 CET 2010

Hi,

 From the conceptual perspective, there exist several efforts that aim
at modeling bibliographic information. BibliOnto [1], CiTO [2] or SWAN
[3] are just a few of such approaches.

On the other hand, we have also developed a model that touches, at least
partly, this aspect, and it's called SALT [4]. More importantly, we have
developed a tool that performs automatic extraction of metadata (in the
SALT format) from PDF publications, that can be then stored directly in
NEPOMUK, at a touch of a button (at [5] you can find a demo movie).

Unfortunately (at least from the community's perspective), the tool is
developed in Java and, for now, is tailored towards scientific
publications using the LNCS and ACM formats.

[1] http://bibliontology.com/
[2]
http://imageweb.zoo.ox.ac.uk/pub/2009/citobase/cito-20091124-1.4/cito-content/owldoc/
[3] http://swan.mindinformatics.org/ontology.html
[4] http://salt.semanticauthoring.org/ontologies.html
[5] http://sclippy.semanticauthoring.org/movie/sclippy.htm

Regards,
Tudor

Dr. Oliver Heidbüchel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> With dolphin I can find all files, I have tagged with "database" for example. But what about
> my books, articles, ... discussing databases? I think we should store metadata for books,
> articles, ... in nepomuk, too.
>
> We need a bibliography ontology with could be based on bibtex. Please have a look at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BibTeX
>
> Classes could be article, book, ..., unpublished.
> Predicates could be based on address, annote, ..., year.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Best regards,
> 	Oliver.

Tudor Groza, Dipl.-Eng., M.Sc.
Semantic Information Systems and Language
Engineering Group (SmILE) - http://smile.deri.ie/
Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI), Galway
National University of Ireland, Galway,
IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan, Galway
Tel: +353-91-495114
E-Mail: tudor.groza at deri.org