[Nepomuk] Web Metadata Extractor GSoC idea

Adrien Bustany madcat at mymadcat.com
Sun Feb 21 17:59:33 CET 2010

http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2010/Ideas#Web_Metadata_Extractor_Framework
>> > _and_Service
>> >
>> > It doesn't look very hard on the surface(mostly grunt work with
>> > configuration
>> > and such) and is a very useful.
>> >
>> > One more thing left out is "slow indexing" mode. At this moment, we
>> > don't
>> > calculate hashes for files or MusicBrainz IDs for music to speed up
>> > indexing.
>> > Maybe it's worth to either let the user enable the features(possibly
>> > for
>> > a subset of dirs) or implement a second pass of crawling to handle
the
>> > heavy lifting.
>> >
>> > Basically, if you have plain mp3 with no tags, the "slow" crawler
could
>> > calculate a MusicBrainz ID, and the Web Metadata Extractor would
fetch
>> > the rest of metadata.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Evgeny

Hi,
I'm currently developing such an app for videos, but using Tracker (the
gnome
counterpart of KDE-Nepomuk). I found that the best datasource I could use
is
actually DBPedia (LMDB misses quite a few titles). But for music, I think
MusicBrainz is the way to go. The source isn't published yet, but it'll be
soon, just the time for me to polish a few things.

Cheers

Adrien