Necessitas is NOT a community project

Koying cbro at semperpax.com
Thu Mar 15 11:07:53 UTC 2012

 WARNING! This post is a rant, expresses only my own opinion and feelings
might be harmed during the course of this reading.

*<RANT>*

This post is a reaction to a thread on the dev list where Bogdan was
lamenting on the lack of commitment to the project.
I found it both laughable and pathetic in the sense that NOTHING is done to
make it a project you can be committed to, and I'll expose, IMHO, why.

1) *This is a one man (and a half, sorry Ray), "benevolent despot" kind of
project.*

Bogdan IS the project. Every single decision is made by him without
discussions nor appeal. He has his vision for the project (that I didn't
find, but it could be hidden in one of the zillions places the project is
scattered into. More on this later) and I don't feel like he is open to
discuss/challenge this vision.
This is human. AFAIK Bogdan created the project and feels he has all rights
on it (which he has), but that prevents real involvement from others.
Fact is, if Bogdan is unavailable, the project just plain stops.

2) *NOTHING is done to make it a community project.*

I already ranted about this, but the scattering of the project resources is
just plain ridiculous, laughable and a HOWTO not to make a coherent project.
Wiki on sourceforge, 1 mailing list on kde and 1 on google groups, 1 bug
tracker on sourceforge and 1 on google code, unclear/hidden master
repository, unclear contribution process, which leads me to:

3) *What the f... does necessitas has to do with KDE?*

I only assume Bogdan and Ray are KDE devs and that it is easy for them to
host necessitas's master git and "contribution process" on KDE, but this is
VERY wrong from a necessitas perspective. KDE might have its own
contribution process but it is irrelevant to us and ridiculous for a
necessitas contributor to have to register a kde account to be able to use
reviewboard, itself, IMHO, a very obscure and complicated system for code
contribution vs. what is existing in github or gitorious.
Obviously, all merge requests in the gitorious clone are ignored.
Pretty please, make gitorious the main repository, use gitorious merge
request system and do whatever KDE stuff you fancy do in your own KDE
corner.

4) *Accept contribution, reject them, discuss them or ask for update, DON'T
rewrite them*.

Crying for contribution, then taking some parts of a patch to rewrite it
you way, mostly incompatible with the original patch, is NOT the way to go
to motivate contributors.

5) *The project is sloooooowwwwww*.

Due to 1), 2) and Bogdan's limited availability, necessitas is slow to
progress in its own right. I kind of made my own necessitas fork to move
on, and due to 4) it has diverged so much from the main trunk that I'm not
sure I'll bother rebasing.

6) *Maybe related to 3), I don't know if it is necessitas or KDE, but one
should definitely learn about the "git rebase" command*.

All the merges coming from I don't know which branches makes the git
repository unreadable. The proper way to merge upstream is to rebase and
resolve conflicts. Merging upstream is pure lazyness.

*Bottom line*:

*Necessitas is NOT a community project*.

Unless the issues outlined are addressed, It is pointless to whine about
necessitas' lack of contribution.
I suspect many of the more knowledgeable potential contributors will just
take the trunk and adapt it to their needs, without bothering trying to
contribute it back. Unless the project becomes more community friendly, I'm
open to contribute to a potential fork.

*</RANT>*

Best Regards
- Chris -