Invitation to take part in a FLOSS study about newbies and KDE

Filipe Saraiva filipe at kde.org
Mon Jul 2 00:38:51 UTC 2018

Hello Marble developers,

My name is Filipe Saraiva, I am a KDE developer and a professor at
Federal University of Para (Brazil). Me, prof. Igor Steinmacher
(Uiversity of Arizona/USA) and prof. Christoph Treude (University of
Adelaide/Australia) are going to conduce an experiment and we would like
to invite you to take part of this.

We would like to know which questions newbies ask to maintainers/senior
developers before make some code contribution. Prof. Christoph is going
to teach a class about open source to 130 students in China and will ask
them to look for some open source projects and plan some contribution to
them. Some KDE projects will be recommended, including Marble.

So, we would like to ask you to stay available in some chat platform of
your preference (IRC/Telegram/Matrix/other) for some hours in some day
between July 4 - 10 in the Chinese time zone to answer the questions of
these students. After it, we will collect the questions and analyze them.

The Marble project needs to have some information registered in
FLOSSCoach [1], a platform to help newbies to make code contributions to
open source, and there is a payment (estimated ~50 USD) for participation.

For now, please let us know the questions below in order to proceed the
experiment:

1. Do you agree/decline the invitation to the experiment?
2. Which chat platform do you prefer to the experiment? (IRC is the best
because the openess but it is not mandatory)
3. Which day and hours do you prefer to stay online in the chat platform
to the experiment?
4. Please, could you put some information about the project in FLOSSCoach?

Thank you for your attention and I am available for answer any questions.

Best regards;

--
Filipe Saraiva
http://filipesaraiva.info/