[Marble-devel] Geolocation module

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Feb 18 22:28:32 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Tuesday, 2014-02-18, 14:40:17, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> at FOSDEM I met Zeeshan Ali who told me about his work on geolocation and
that it would be cool if it were re-used across desktops. I don’t know much
about the topic, but his work looks cool to me. Here is what he wrote:
> > If you recall, I told you about geoclue and my
> > wish for other desktops (especially KDE) to use and perhaps also
> > contribute to and I promised to send you this email. Here are some
> > blog posts you might find interesting on the topic:
> >
> > http://zee-nix.blogspot.com/2014/01/geoclue-211.html
> > http://zee-nix.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/gnome-310-312-and-me.html
> >
> > Could you please ask around in your community about this? Thanks in
> > advance for all the help!
>
> Is anybody involved in any kind of geolocation work and can get in touch
> with Zeeshan about it?

I am not involved in any geolocation work but if this is mainly about making
geoclue2 available as a position provider for Qt applications then contacting
the people working on QtLocation might be the way to go.
It already seems to have a geoclue provider plugin, but that could be geoclue1

https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtlocation/source/4c0599e2537a439f59ee91e1561c1c3ecf0b34e0:src/plugins/position/geoclue

That is for Qt5, so it would take a while until it is used by KDE applications
developers.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring