[Marble-devel] What to do with api keys

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Mon Nov 26 15:23:41 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have written a plugin for displaying geocaches from opencaching.com, mainly
to get my feet wet with a web service and QJson without having to deal with
oauth, that is used by opencaching.pl (and others using their API).

To access opencaching.com, I got an API key from the site, and now the
question is how to deal with that in the opensource context.

The key is just a text string, and it is used as part of the URL sent to get
data from the service, like
http://www.opencaching.com/api/geocache/?Authorization=<key>&<rest of query>

As you can see, it is not very secret, but I'm not sure how to deal with the
key - how can I include it in a wasy so it is not put in clear text in the
code, but without making it difficult to use the plugin?

I could write a plugin for the opencaching network as well, but they also use
api keys.

For a screenshot of the plugin in action, look here in case anyone is
interrested:
http://owncloud.alweb.dk/public.php?service=files&file=/anders/files/Public/marble-
opencaching.png
http://owncloud.alweb.dk/public.php?service=files&file=/anders/files/Public/marble-