[Marble-devel] SRTM Tiles

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Tue Sep 13 16:06:20 UTC 2011

Hi,

Great effort!
I just looked at the data quickly using a browser and figured that the data
seems to be the original SRTM data (with or without error corrections) which
naturally lacks

* areas above a latitude of 60 Degrees north and no Antarctica (so no Finland,
parts of Canada are missing and Sarah Palin can't see Russia on those tiles)

* bathymetry ("ocean floor") is missing

Such a (much lower res) compilation of different data sources with SRTM data
is used in Marble's Atlas map view.

So ideally in the future we'd have that added to the data so that we can reuse
this data for an improved version of Marble's Atlas or Satellite View.

BR,
Torsten