[Marble-devel] Creating maps for marble

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Tue Jun 22 10:50:47 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tuesday 22 June 2010 10:29:38 Christophe Leske wrote:
> Ok, found it, for me, it is located at
>
> C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\.marble
> The app created just two folders though, level 0 and 1.

Thinking about it it should create 2 levels. See below.

> In the folder of level 0, there are just 2 tiles in it, i would expect 4
> if the app created quadtiles?

No, quadtiles in this context means that starting from level zero each tile gets
divided into 4 tiles for every increasing tile level.

For equirectangular projection the level zero which displays a worldmap has got
a ratio 2:1. So there are two tiles.
For mercator projection it's 1:1. So just a single tile.

So for equirectangular projection we have:

level 0:  2 x 1
level 1:  4 x 2
level 2:  8 x 4

etc. ...

> The tiles are in 675 by 675 pixel however, which is the standard format
> for Marble.
>
> Level 1 has the Quadtiles, as I would expect them: a total of 8 tiles,
> divided in 2 rows ("00000" and "000001"). The tiles are again 675 by
> 675, thus yielding to an image of 4*675 = 2700 pixels in width, and
> 2*675 pixels = 1350 Pixels in height.

Must be a bug.

> My installmap is however 10800 Pixels wide, so I would expect more leves
> to be created by Marble?

Sounds like a bug in tile creator indeed.