[Marble-devel] Contributing Data

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Sun Apr 11 20:06:36 CEST 2010

Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply.

On Tuesday 06 April 2010 20:39:46 J. Holden wrote:
> I have been creating GPL-licensed spatial data for FlightGear, the
> open-source flight simulator. I recently stumbled over Marble and I like
> it a lot, though I feel as if the program could benefit from having more
> datasets to paruse. For instance, the town I currently live in is not in
> the atlas.

There are some instructions here on how to add cities:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeedu/marble/data/placemarks/HOWTO-
cities.txt?view=markup

We plan to move to a different (Geonames.org based) data base in the future.

> I'd be quite happy to contribute my data, but a lot of it is random and not
> comprehensive (for instance, I have a fairly complete landuse, coastline,
> roads and hydrography for Oahu, Hawai'i; a lat-lon Brovey-transform
> LANDSAT image of St. Kitts and Nevis; and other random datasets derived
> from license-friendly data).

That would be cool. However currently Marble's data is pretty sparse and we only
have "global maps". With a bit of technical understanding and lack of fear you
might be able to help us to get this going :)

> I don't know if this would make Marble better, so I'm trying to figure out
> what I could contribute which would improve the quality of the spatial
> data in the software. Any information would be appreciated,

I suggest that you join us on IRC if possible to discuss this in detail.
The channel is #marble on freenode.org.
 :-)

Torsten