[Marble-devel] Marble and Google Earth

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Sun Oct 26 11:34:15 CET 2008

Hi Maurizio,

On Saturday 25 October 2008 11:38:30 you wrote:
> The inclusion of the landsat imagery would be a big step forward, I
> couldn't understand from your mail if you are already working on it or if
> is ToDo later on.

We are not working on it yet. I have some special specs for it set up during
the next 2 weeks. You'll then be able to participate. That being said I
consider the LandSat imagery a very important task for Marble 0.7 / KDE 4.2.
Of course an application like Marble needs to have some somewhat acceptable
satellite imagery so this is really a task that is important to me.

> I couldn't find it in the ToDo list for 4.2 so I think
> you are planing it for later.

There is a release schedule here:

http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.2_Release_Schedule

And a feature list here:

http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.2_Feature_Plan

There is also a TODO file available in SVN however the aim of that TODO file is
rather intended for micro-coordination of feature implementation.

As you might realize "Creating a landsat map" is not part of the official
feature plan. The reason is this: The feature plan mostly covers features that
are subject to a feature freeze.

I consider the LandSat task to be an extension of Marble's current "Satellite
View" and as it doesn't require code changes and doesn't change the
applications appearance we are able to add map data to this map without time
constraints.

However if you wanted to add a completely new map then you need to do this
until string freeze as the name of the map and its legend need to get
translated. String freeze will happen on November 18th (That's in 3 weeks
already).

> I live in a little town near Monfalcone (near Trieste) in Italy and I would
> love to help contribute.

Great to hear!

For now I'd suggest

- That you either have a look at OpenAerialMap.org (as Andrew had suggested).
While I know about this site I haven't had the time to look into it very much.
For now we'd be mostly interested in all the free aerial photo data of major
cities in Europe and North America. I think that this would be a sane focus as
most of our user base and developer base is located there.

- As an alternative you could also look into historical maps like these:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:World_Map_1689.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Leonhard_Euler_World_Map_AD1760.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Moll_-
_A_new_map_of_the_whole_world_with_the_trade_winds.png
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Nova_Orbis_Tabula_in_Lucem_Edita.jpg

 I'd really like to have historical world maps in Marble.

Maps for Marble need to get provided in plate carrée projection (also referred
to as "Equirectangular projection"):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_carrée_projection

There are morphing tools and HOWTOS on the web that can tell you how to morph
ancient maps into the desired projection. It doesn't require too many skills.
It's just a matter of doing research on the matter, finding out about the
copyright and legal terms and sitting a few hours in front of the computer to
tweak the map according to your needs (As a reward we can only offer fun and a
prominent mentioning in the "About Marble Dialog" though ... ).

Have a look here:

http://spin3d.com/

The tool "Morph Man" they are using runs on wine btw.. Unfortunately there
doesn't seem to be any similar easy to use free software tool out there. I've
checked out lots of free ones already but unfortunately there's none that
would be up to this task.

The "equirectangular image" that is the result after half of the tutorial is
what you need.

Once you got an appropriate image it's very easy and a matter of less than five
minutes to get such a map imported into Marble (and doesn't require a single
line of code):

Just have a look here for more information on how Marble deals with maps:

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3269
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3272
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3275

> I'm sorry if I'm bugging you with that many questions about your work with
> this project. Maybe if I'd stop you could keep working on it :-)

Well, no problem. I just enjoy to tell people how they can get involved with
Marble as long as there's the little slight tiny chance that they will start
to contribute as well ;-)

I'll write a special mail regarding the LandSat data in a few days.

I'll also give some tips and instructions for people who would like to add
special Venus and Mars maps for Marble (I'd like to have the base data for
these "themes" as a GHNS download).

Have Fun,

Torsten