Availability of DMGs for older versions of Kate for MacOS?

Joshua Braun jabraun at journ.umass.edu
Thu Feb 8 17:48:47 GMT 2024

Hi All,

Is there a site or repository where students can download older releases of Kate for MacOS?

I'm teaching an intro web design course and having students use Kate as their editor. In addition to being a favorite of mine, Kate has the additional advantages of being cross-platform (students are using their own computers/OS's) and beginner-friendly (the students are all novices). However, the most recent release of Kate appears to be incompatible with the older versions of of MacOS that some students are running, and I have a few who are unable to upgrade due to hardware or storage constraints. One solution could be for them to install a slightly older version of Kate that's compatible with the OS version they're running.

The binary factory only offers the most recent release of Kate and I've only found Windows .exe files for older releases on download-dot-kde. I do see that MacPorts offers older versions, but this would mean having students additionally install XCode tools and MacPorts — which seems prohibitive for folks who're already avoiding updating their OS due to space constraints and a bit intimidating for less tech-savvy students.

Many Thanks,
Josh Braun

--
Josh Braun, Ph.D.
Associate Professor // Journalism Department

Mastodon: @josh at sciences.social

Distribution Matters series @ The MIT Press
https://mitpress.mit.edu/series/distribution-matters/

"Maybe the only gift is a chance to inquire, to know nothing for certain. An inheritance of wonder and nothing more."
William Least Heat-Moon