Getting Kate to launch in a new tab from Linux command line

Stephen Rose steverose5 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 22:47:52 GMT 2023

Hi.  I'm using Kate from the Linux command line.  When launching Kate on a new file when there is an existing instance of Kate running I sometimes get a new tab (which is what I want) and sometimes I get a new instance of Kate.   It's flakey.  How can I get Kate to consistently launch in a new tab?
I'm using Kate version 23.04.0
Please CC me on responses because I have not been successful in subscribing to the mailing list.  I get no response back when I try to subscribe.
Thanks,
-Steve