Floating Schematic to Verilog idea for SOC

WADE MAXFIELD maxfield at ctelcom.net
Fri Jan 15 20:15:39 GMT 2021

Hi,

   I develop using SOC devices.  My current favorite is the PSoC 5 from Cypress.  They were recently acquired by Infineon.

   They appear to be changing their approach from visual schematic design to only code.  I prefer visual when possible.

   They have created Modus Toolbox (MT) which has totally done away with the visual schematic designer.  It also does not support PSOC family prior to their PSOC 6 SOC versions.

   However, MT tools will more or less support the PSOC 5 family. Even if there are problems with certain tools, we can run the Windows command line tools under Wine, including the GCC compiler.  I have done this.

   Wine does not properly support the graphics requirements of the PSoC Creator program.  Many crashes occur.

   Personally, I have written VHDL and Verilog for logic, along with coding in about a dozen other languages for processor execution, but I still think visually.

   The PSOC family,  has some digital fabric inside of it along with a lot of analog components, all routable through Verilog.

   The amount of logic and analog that can be placed into a PSOC 5 design is impressive, based on my experiences.

   In addition, there are a lot of FPGA’s out there that have embedded CPU’s, and more small FPGA’s are being created with embedded CPU’s as time passes.

   This all appears to be a unique fit for the ktechlab concept as I understand it.

   Is there any support for developing KtechLab schematic to Verilog outputs for PSoC family (or even embedded FPGA)  so that we can do visual design (for small projects)?

  I have thick skin, so feel free to flame away.  Everyone has an opinion, and everyone’s opinion is correct, when taken in the context in which it is given.

thanks!
Wade