[Ktechlab-devel] Project status and plans

Zoltan Padrah zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Tue May 3 14:55:48 UTC 2016

  Hi,

given the relatively low traffic on the mailing list, I'm posting the
status of ktechlab and my plans for the future, in order to keep
everybody updated.

Current status:

- I'm focusing on the port of version 0.3.8 to KDE4/Qt4; it is mostly
usable now. In the TODO file there is a list of things I want to go
through, then I want to make a(n alpha) release. The code is here:

https://github.com/ktechlab/ktechlab/tree/port-0.3.8-kde4-v1

- the first attempty on KDE4 port, with KDevPlatform, is in
"maintenance" mode now from my point of view, this means that I want
to keep it compiling and running with newer libraries/KDE. I'm not
planning to complete it soon, because I estimate the required effort
to the order of several man-moonths. This codebase is in the master
branch on github:

https://github.com/ktechlab/ktechlab/tree/master

- The codebases for ktechlab 0.3 and the suspended 0.4 series are now
in the same git repository; this is convenient.

My plans are the following:

- as soon as I manage to do it, I want to get some preview release out
from the port-0.3.8-kde4-v1 branch, and then periodically creating
preview releases until every (observed) bug is fixed

- after the 0.3.8 KDE4 port is done, I want to target Qt5, again with
porting, in order to avoid depending on obsolete libraries.
Fortunately the current round of distributions with long-term-support
include Qt4, but most probably at some point Qt4 will be abandoned.

- in parallel with Qt5 porting, I want to maintain the Qt4 port,
mostly with bugfixes

- in parallel with all the technical part, I'm planning to do a
checklist, and then contact KDE for KTechLab becoming a KDE project. I
think this will be beneficial for KTechLab as a project. I assume that
KDE Science and KDE Edu are closest to KTechLab.

I highly appreciate any feedback on anything, especially about the
last item from my plans. I have written about KTechLab joining KDE
about half a year ago, and then I have got no response; by default I
will assume that if nobody has anything against it, I will go ahead,
and keep the list posted.

Have fun,

 Zoli