[Ktechlab-devel] Thread about using smart pointers on C++ application

Zoltan Padrah zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Sat May 16 19:00:22 UTC 2015

  Hi,

before actually starting to fill the code with smart pointers, I want
to start a discussion about it.

As I remember, Alan used to say that he doesn't like smart pointers,
because they show that the code that uses them is not well thought-out
(feel free to correct me...).

My current opinion is that my time is limited, so I want to get done
as much as I can in a given time. So I prefer to use solutions that
will work reliably and are simple and fast to implement, instead of
analyzing a codebase for hours. So I prefer to use smart pointers,
which can save me a lot of time and effort. Of course I don't want to
over-use them, but I think they are a good pragmatic approach for
fixing memory-handling related issues.

What is your opinion?

Best regards,

 Zoltan