[Ktechlab-devel] 8051 Support

Zoltan Padrah zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 17:33:46 UTC 2014

 Hi,

I'd like to clarify the situation: currently there is not usable
version of ktechlab, and unfortunately I cannot dedicate time and
energy to the project in a consistent manner, so I cannot guarantee
when there will be a released version. I want to get it up and running
on modern systems, but I cannot set a deadline for that.

Currently there is no usable current version of ktechlab: there are
the very old releases, which depend Qt 3 and KDE 3, and there is the
latest codebase, which currently only supports displaying circuits,
but the simulator is not hooked to the the user interface. Also, KDE
(kdevplatform) is a moving target, as KDE 5 has been released, and it
integrates much tightly with Qt, than KDE 4.

If you feel like working on ktechlab, then feel free to ask questions :-)

As for simulating 8051, I have seen a simulator in the source code of
sdcc, but I have no idea if it works. At some point I wanted to
implement in memory banking support for it, so that simulator would be
able to simulate newer chips, with more than 64k of flash. In the end
I have not needed that simulator, so I have abandoned that plan.

Probably a simulation library for 8051 would be usable for ktechlab in
the long term, when there will be a working version of ktechlab.

Best regards,

 Zoltan