[Ktechlab-devel] providing more options for new contributors (new github repo)

Zoltan Padrah zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Thu May 19 21:49:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011 21:59:34 +0200, Julian Bäume <julian at svg4all.de> wrote:

> moin,
> yesterday we decided to try out github to host our sources. This will
> make it
> more easy for new contributors to fork the project and get their changes
> upstream. You can find the sources at
>
> https://github.com/ktechlab/ktechlab
>
> Feel free to fork and create pull-requests!

I'd just like to detail these concepts for the people who have not used
git or github:

- forking of a source tree on github means that somebody prepares the
source tree for modifications; it won't create a new project, as fork in
the 'classical' sense. After creating a fork, modifications can be applied
to that source tree

- pull request: request for integrating the modifications in the original
sources. Thanks to git, this can be done very easily, even if the original
project has evolved since the creation of the modified version. The
changes will be review-ed, of course.

In other world, now it should be much easier for anybody to work on
ktechlab and to contribute.

Have fun exploring these possibilities,

   Zoltan