[Ktechlab-devel] News about the simulator since the last update

Zoltan Padrah zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Sat May 7 22:29:05 UTC 2011

2011/5/8 Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net>:
> Zoltan Padrah wrote:
>

> Yeah, that's been problematic for a long time. I strongly suggest you
> beg/borrow/steal/even buy a copy of "Circuit Simulation" by Farid N. Najm.
>
> The simulator in ktechlab tries to be a quick hackjob to work on a
> Pentium 2. If you want a simulator that actually works, and computes
> currents correctly, then you need to study the book. =\

It's a problem of time and energy. Both are limited.

The simulator seems to generate the correct output, so until proven
otherwise, it's good enough (tm). I'm adding test cases, so if someone
can make a test which show a problem, then we it can be tested.

Qucs project has some nice, free documentation on simulation. In some
cases I use that.

> But right now our priority is getting running on QT4.

Agreed.

> At this point I vote that we declare kdevplatform a lost cause because
> it is about as stable as a free neutron (which has an 18 minute half-life).

This issue needs more investigation. In theory kdevplatform is nice
but the implementation has some problems. Maybe we should hack it
around, and ship a hacked version with ktechlab. But then we have to
maintain that.

> Are there other document/project management frameworks that are more
> stable?

Kdevplatform tries to be a software platform, for easier development
and high integration.