[Ktechlab-devel] let’s test some git workflow

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Thu Sep 16 12:08:01 UTC 2010

hi there,
i just read through the latest commits in zoltan’s master branch. I saw that
he hard-coded the pin ids into the element’s code. Some time ago, I had a
similar problem with the SVG-files. Now, I know, that these also contain the
pin ids. So I added a feature to share this information. Now I want Zoltan to
use my new code in the future, so I need him to integrate this, somehow. Here
is, how it should be done:

------- SNIP --------------

I branch zoltan/master to create the patches on top of his branch.

git branch -b merge zoltan/master

Then I implement the patch and commit it.
I ran the tests to verify everything still is fine.

I check for changes in zoltan/master:

git pull --rebase

I push the changes into a new branch into zoltan/-repository:

git push zoltan merge:merge

If there is already a branch called merge, I change the line to:

git push zoltan merge:mergeXX

for the first free value of XX.

I tell Zoltan to have a look at my changes and ask him for comments.

This step can be done 0 to n times (for any fixed number n):
Zoltan asks me to change something, because he doesn’t like the patch, as it
is. I create another patch, commit and push the changes and ping Zoltan.

Zoltan merges my changes and delets the branch:

git merge origin/merge[XX]
git push origin :merge[XX]

------- snap -----------

ok, that’s for the workflow. now for the content ;)

I haven’t finished the complete patch, yet. There is still some work todo on
my side. But I want you to have a look at the first 2 commits. The first one
fixes something I mentioned some time ago on the ML. The second one is another
approach to implement a generic element factory. This is IMHO a little more
C++-ish.

If you like it, you could cherry-pick these 2 (or only one of them). And leave
the rest as is, until I finished it. I just needed to publish it, because this
mail was half-done since nearly a day, now ;) and I wanted it marked “done” on
my TODO.

bye then
julian

PS: i noticed your minimal_simulator branch. nice idea! :)