[Ktechlab-devel] kde4 port: CircuitModel instantiation from tests

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Tue Mar 23 14:42:24 UTC 2010

Julian Bäume wrote:
> I don't see an easy way to change this, without bringing back the "one class
> for each component" problem, which IMHO doesn't scale.

Yes,

But,

we are only trying to *PORT* ktechlab right now.

Moving to loadable components at this juncture goes into Deep Design
Decisions which I want to have a say in. =\

And because I don't have the tools to work on the new version right now,
I am really dismayed that changes are being made that will be difficult
to revert in the future because I want to take it in a different direction.

Elsewhere in your post, you described the plugin loader as working by
"magic". This is unacceptable. If it isn't documented well enough to be
well understood, then it should be ignored. Indeed, I complain that
linux lacks such things as network filesystems because they are too
difficult to configure to actually use. Linux recently lost the ability
to even mount hard drives but that's a different issue...

Consider, we have a new volunteer (or even myself), how do we bring that
new person up to speed on the project if they (or me), can't understand
how it's actually working?

My own solution to the scaling problem is to provide a user editor and
viewer for components that will allow you to inspect and edit the model
for that component. This would work with .component files or something
that would be viewable and editable (to some degree) in something like
kxmleditor.

It's really not reasonable to force the users to use a C++ compiler for
this because I wouldn't even know how to do that. Furthermore, the vast
library of components out there demand that users be able to design and
contribute components to the ktechlab component database with relatively
little programming skill.

Once again, these changes are for versions AFTER the port is stabilized.

--
DO NOT USE OBAMACARE.
DO NOT BUY OBAMACARE.