[Ktechlab-devel] OUTRAGEOUS MEMORY USAGE!!!

Richard Rondu rondu.richard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 09:45:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I just did a memcheck run on my torture test circuit (after finishing
> cleaning logicIn of linked list code, and re-writing part of Circuit so
> that it behaves the same as LogicOut). I was totally outraged by the
> results. KTECHLAB HAD LOSED FIFTEEN THOUSAND BYTES OF MEMORY!!! JEZUS
> CHRIST, PPL, THAT'S ALMOST 1/1000TH AS BAD AS EVERY OTHER KDE
> APPLICATION!!! I MEAN, IF WE WERE ONLY A MERE THREE ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE
> BUGGIER, WE'D BE SHOWING JUST ABOUT THE SAME QUALITY OF CODE I SEE IN
> THE REST OF MY SYSTEM. =|   (KDE4 uses at least a gigabyte of ram just
> to show the flaming desktop...)

zsh/2 1843 % free
Mem:       2036700    1032784    1003916          0      58832     400652
-/+ buffers/cache:     573300    1463400
Swap:      1048568          0    1048568

around 600MB used here, KDE 4.3.1 on fedora 11 and a few non kde apps launched.
Minus firefox chromium qt-creator and some misc apps you can remove 120~150MB.