[Ktechlab-devel] parallel and serial ports.

santiago gonzalez santigoro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 01:28:37 UTC 2009

Hi list...

This comes from the help forum:

Zoltan said:

*"In ktechlab's source you can find in /src/electronics/port.h and .cpp the
implementation. *

*As I see, reading and writing is done by calling ioctl on the device. *

*I don't know if setting the voltage on the port and seeing the change in
ktchlab should work or not, but in my opinion it shouldn't be a something
very complicated to do."*
**

Ok... i had a look to port.cpp, and also to
/src/electronics/components/parallelportcomponent.ccp and
serialportcomponent.cpp

Setting the voltage on the port works ok in serial port, but not with every
pin.. in the code these inputs are comented as "doesn't work", all of them
should work,  but at least some of them works; but in parallel port, inputs
(status) don't work, i think they should... i didn't find any problem in the
code; i don't know very well the ioctl library, but all looks correct.

Anyway i will try to find the problem.

I found that data and control were also defined as inputs, but working like
outputs ; i think this makes some erratic behaivors. (from the port point of
view... an input to the port is "outputed" to ktechlab, then in ktechlab is
defined as "createLogicOut").

I did some changes in parallelportcomponet.cpp and .h and i think now is
working ok (data & control). I also did a workaround to solve the inverted
values shown in ktechlab compared with the values present in the port, and
now works ok for me.

I think this is a very interestin feature, because is possible to interface
a real circuit with a virtual one running in Ktechlab...

I'm thinking in not simulate PIC but run the code in a real pic and conect
it to a virtual circuit through parallel port. I did a try with a real pic
managing a virtual led in kltechlab through serial port, working ok; but
serial has just a few lines, with parallel i could interface two whole
ports.

I keep learning about ioctl... lets see if i find the way.

*
*