[Ktechlab-devel] Source repository: git or mercurial or other?

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Fri Nov 20 10:27:48 UTC 2009

On Friday 20 November 2009 11:22:23 P Zoltan wrote:
>   You were right, I could change it. Now you have shell access.
Okay, finished. I hope I didn't miss anything and the names are okay, the way
I choose them. FYI: everybody (in the ktechlab group) has got write access to
all repositories, so we should agree, that we only push into our own
repositories and upstream.

Now, how to manage your multiple repositories on your computer?
I suggest the following:
I started checking out the upstream repository. This one is called origin, by
default. I renamed that to upstream by doing:

git remote rename origin upstream

this way, I won't accidentally push something in there (since one would always
have to explicitly mention the word "upstream").

After that, I added my repo as origin:

git remote add origin ssh://jb-
good at ktechlab.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/ktechlab/ktl-j_ohny_b

and the other 2 developer repos as zoltan and alan (just the name and the last
part of the path changes)

You can update remote repos by doing:

git fetch <name>

after that the local list of branches will be up to date. You can list all
branches:

git branch -a

bye
julian

PS: any further questions, requests (are the names, i did choose, okay?),
contact me (I got only 1.5h shell-time left ;D)

PPS: I'll push a working kde4 setup as a starting point later, today