[Ktechlab-devel] Kate MDI

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 14 05:31:38 UTC 2009

I've been looking at the KateMDI code and I think all it's doing for us
is laying out our workspace panes.

I'm pretty sure it will be safe to ditch it entirely in favor of the
more modern user-customizable dockable layouts that are possible with
the new toolkits.

This is a reasonable change to do during the port because the KateMDI
code is heavily tied into the Qt3 system and is not really a part of our
core code.

The bigger problem is our customized version of Qcanvas. It really is
one of the biggest parts of "what makes Ktechlab So Great(tm)" The way
you can slap things together without thought for the geometry of the
workspace. =) (there are some minor bugs but they're pretty trivial).

Does anyone know about anything that could do the same job?

I think we should start actively recruiting KDE4 porting experts from
the main KDE lists.

--
DO NOT USE OBAMACARE.
DO NOT BUY OBAMACARE.