[Ktechlab-devel] Porting to Qt 4 --> I'd like to help

Juan De Vincenzo juandevincenzo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 08:45:14 UTC 2009

Hi,

Just a brief intro of myself: I'm a ktechlab enthusiast that, since
I'm just learning to program, I've been only quietly following the
developments of the project, but, since my failed attempt to compile
under KDE 4 a couple of weeks ago (maybe someone remembers the e-mail
I sent? =P) and also the growing interest that many people in showing
in the project, I thought that migrating the code to Qt 4 is something
that should be done.

I saw several e-mails with people talking about doing something like
this, so I'm really curious to know if this is actually on the process
of happening. The reason for my interest is that I've been thinking
that maybe it would be a good learning exercise for me to work/help on
this. I'm aware that a great amount of work would be involved, mostly
if you think of the fact that I'm just diving into the Qt world, but
I'll learn most by doing than just reading books (I'm currently with
Foundations of Qt Development, and as soon as I'm done with that one
I'll go to The Book of Qt 4 by Daniel Molkentin).

Could anyone give me some pointers in regards to where to start? Maybe
I could get some small tasks to carry out? Or should I just pick up a
.cpp file and start to try to figure out what changes would be
necessary? I mean, I already printed the Porting to Qt 4 guide from
the Trolltech docs. ;)

For example a question that comes to my mind now is: would you use the
qt3toqt4 porting tool or rather rewrite the code around Qt 4?

In the meantime, like Alan Grimes suggested back on December, I'm
taking a look at the small stuff in the current code and trying to get
use to it.

Thanks in advance!