[Ktechlab-devel] KDevPlatform dependencies

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Wed Feb 11 11:46:17 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 12:53:07 P Zoltan wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:39:21 +0100, Julian Bäume <julian at svg4all.de> wrote:
> > moin,
> > I came up with a solution how to integrate the KDevPlatform library. ATM
> > only rely on their interfaces and started to implement them myself. I
> > also use
> > their UI implementations. CMake is able to figure out whether
> > KDevPlatform is
> > installed (including -devel packages) or not. It than can decide whether
> > we
> > need to build the needed parts within KTechLab or can link against the
> > installed libs. This will save compile time and disk-space for people
> > having
> > KDevPlatform installed and won't make it a hard dependency for people who
> > don't want to install "half of kde".
> >
> > What do you think?
>
>   Most of the people will use prebuit packages. The question is: how should
> the packaging people compile the package? Should there be 2 packages: a
> kde version, having as dependency "half of kde" and the non-kde version,
> which has all the libs in the package? And will these versions conflict?
> What if someone installs ktechlab, and kdevelop after?
Packaging should be done with KDevPlatform as a dependency. The same is done
for gpsim as an "optional" dependency. The libraries aren't this big, that it
would count in a binary distribution. There won't be any conflicts, since
"our" version would have a KTechLab prefix (ktl or something like that) but
only export the same symbols.

I just looked into the openSUSE repository, kdevplatform is about 600kb in
size. gpsim creates 1.3MB binaries and has itself a dependency on libgtkextra2
which is 300kb in size. That's how binary distributions work. I could produce
a much smaller gpsim version, without gtk deps, but this would mean quite some
work to do for me as a packager.

The optionality of KDevPlatform would only be good for people not using binary
distributions or do compile KTechLab from sources and don't install it via
their packaging system.