[Ktechlab-devel] Some UML-like diagrams

P Zoltan zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 13:33:07 UTC 2009

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 23:52:09 +0100, Axel Jäger <axel.jaeger at basyskom.de>
wrote:

>> We could inherit ForLoopItem from QWidget (or more specifically from
>> some frame), then embed it into the scene with the addWidget method (
>> http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qgraphicsscene.html#addWidget
>> ), and insert in the frame a new graphics scene. The details of this
>> should be worked out.
>>
> No, please do not embed QWidgets in a QGraphicsScene. This is just a
> migration thing to be able to mix old widget based code with new
> QGraphicsItem-based code. For new things that should live in a
> QGraphicsScene, subclass either QGraphicsItem or QGraphicsWidget if you
> want something like a widget.
>
> Embedding classic QWidgets in a GraphicsScene suffers from performance
> problems and funny effects because there is now 2 trees: The object and
> the item tree and they fight against each other.

  I didn't know that. Sill, there is a warning on QGraphicsProxyWidget's
documentation page. Time for a new approach...

  Basically we need 2 types of widgets on the graphic scene: buttons and
scroll bars. So I guess we should implement those manually, or wait for
the official QT version of them
( reference: http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009/12/10/we-have-liftoff/ ).

> Feel free to ask me any questions about that topic.

  Whay kind of implementation would you recommend for loops in flowcode
document? These contain more flow-items inside.

  In the 0.3 version of ktechlab, the loops are simple items on the canvas
(?), with a "hole" in their middle; they just surround the items they
contain. This can lead to strange behavior when some items are only
partially inside the the loop.
  For the new version I want to make them real containers; this should make
the code more simple, reliable and user-proof. Embedding one graphic scene
into another looks a very elegant solution to me. The big question is how
to do it.