[Ktechlab-devel] workflow for kde4 development

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Tue Dec 22 16:38:41 UTC 2009

moin,
as promised, I'm going to write some lines, about my development-workflow.
Let's start with SCM. I'm using git, because I sometimes don't have a working
connection to the Internet when developing. (Or it's damn slow.. and SVN,
especially on sf.net is a PITA when it's slow ;)) I haven't found any nice GUI
front-end for git, so I am working in a terminal. I used to have git cheat-
sheets flying around on my desk, but they aren't necessary any longer. Some
time ago, I wrote some hints about git in a terminal into the wiki, so I won't
explain this in detail, here.

Concerning KDE development, I learned most of my "tricks" on
http://techbase.kde.org ;) Especially these slides of David Faure helped me a
lot and did fit quite good into my programming habits. You can find them here:
http://web.davidfaure.fr/scripts/
For my zsh I use the grml config (Which should fit most into debian-based
systems, but it's working great for me on openSUSE and gentoo). You can find
it here: http://grml.org/zsh/
I just use David's find_up method to load a special .my-setup file which sets
all that KDE specific stuff (described by David and on techbase) for my
~/projects/kde/ folder.

Since some time I am using KDevelop to actually hack on KDE code. It offers
some nice features and is also stable enough to work with it. This is straight
forward, I just imported the project and started hacking. I adjusted some
environment variables, to match to my setup and after that compiling works. I
had some problems with installing and running (especially in gdb). This
situation should improve with the next release of KDevelop. For now, I just
switch into Konsole and just use cmakekde (from techbase) in the .my-setup
environment I described earlier.

Well.. I hope that helped in one way or the other.. Any comments or questions
are welcome :)

bye then
julian