[Ktechlab-devel] Converting to Eigen - patch for revision, ver.1

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Fri Aug 21 21:35:40 UTC 2009

P Zoltan wrote:
>>>  A flowcode (let's do things with style :D) made with ktechlab,
>>> attached, shows the current operations when one step in the simulation
>>> is done. It seem to me that it's too complicated and inefficient. It can
>>> be seen that in Simulator::step() there are quite a few loops, and in
>>> each loop ElementSet::doNonLinear also makes  internal iterations.
>>> That's not needed, as far I know.
>> I had forgotten about flowcode. =P

>> Good start, looks like a great test for the flowcode code too. =)

>   It crashes quite often ;)

=(
That needs to be fixed!

>   You said before that there are some book about modified nodal analysis
> (?). What is the theoretical complexiti of that algorithm? Looking at the
> current implementation, it seem to me that ktechlab implementation is
> needlessly too complex.

I've been using the documentation from this project:
http://qucs.sourceforge.net/

-- Actually, I had not looked at where that paper had come from before,
maybe we can use parts of their software too!

[[ reads site more ]]... It might actually be the case that it makes
sense to merge projects... They seem to be trying to re-invent ktechlab
where we have a great gui and they seem to be super-geniuses when it
comes to simulation....

The PDF was handed around on the mailing list some time ago.

>>>  My goal now is to make the test circiut (also attached) to run
>>> decently, without 100% processor usage. The big question is how to do
>>> it?

>> The circuit runs just fine for me right now with less than 50% of a
>> single CPU (2-way SMP machine). I'm using the old engine. Naturally,
>> things slow down if I put in a voltage probe... (which might be a
>> problem. probably a good target for multithreading...)

>   With the old engine it's not that interesting, maybe for comparison. With
> the new engine ktechlab uses one core 100% if the processor is on 800Mhz,
> and 60% on 1800Mhz. It would also be interesting, to make a release or
> just normal build, without debug information, and see how fast is that.

My machine is 1.2 ghz.

I care far more about bugs and essential features than speed at this point.

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.