[Ktechlab-devel] Eagle

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Tue Apr 21 03:15:00 UTC 2009

I just wasted the evening trying to design a board in Eagle (
www.cadsoft.de/freeware.htm ).

It was a real learning curve! =P

The parts library is awful... There was no organizing principles,
everything was just a jumble and difficult to use. You had to select
"add", dig your part out of the library, then you're in part mode so you
stamp down your part each time you click your mouse. if you want a
slightly different version of part X, you have to dig it out of the
library again, You seem to need to decide your actual part before you're
done with the schematic. There's no wire routing in the schematic view.

The EL84 implementation (you can download it separately), didn't
correctly display the heater connections so it's impossible to connect
the heater! =0

Still, the file formats are interesting and there are already large
parts libraries so we should definitely look at.

Long term, ktechlab should allow you to go through the entire design
cycle leading up to a gerber file that can be sent to the fab:

http://www.pcbfabexpress.com/

And do it better and with 1/10th the learning curve of Eagle. ;)

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.