[Ktechlab-devel] appology

Celelibi celelibi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 11:48:19 UTC 2008

2008/11/15 Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net>

> I guess I owe all you d00dz, an apology or an explaination or something
> for my explosion the other day.
>
> Now that my rage has subsided (somewhat) and my foot is feeling a bit
> better, I'll get into a bit more detail about why I'm so frustrated.
>
> The biggest problem with manpages is that you can't flip through them.
> So therefore you are highly unlikely to learn anything that you don't
> already know by reading manpages.
>
> Knowing this, I have spent vast amounts of money (both money I could
> afford and money I couldn't!) on books that billed themselves as being
> comprehensive resources on many fields in programming including the core
> standards of Unix. Often times these searches were coupled with a desire
> to write my own operating system so I made an extra effort to identify
> functionality which I might use to prototype my OS.
>
> So when I was confronted by a question about whether Unix supported an
> operating-system like feature, I was confident it didn't, because I had
> done my homework and determined that to be the case.
>
> Then to learn not only that I was wrong, but that the functionality was
> in the 2001 version of POSIX, I was infuriated because I had thought I
> had put in enough effort to know otherwise. (Amazon.com does not seem to
> carry any books on Posix 200x, and the IEEE only seems to have very
> expen$ive downloads, no actual books..).
>
> In any event, I shouldn't have taken my frustrations out so brutally on
> the group. =\

Hi,
I think the fact I'm not native english speaker made that I didn't
understood you whole rage. :p

You can read and/or print (but not redistribute) the whole IEEE standard
1003.1. (aka POSIX standard) from there :
http://www.unix.org/single_unix_specification/
Registration is free.
But it's a standard, it is not intended to be a comprehensive document...

Celelibi