[Ktechlab-devel] simulator

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 8 20:55:17 UTC 2008

> I partly agree here. The point why I see KTechLab in kdeedu is, because of
> it's really easy to use interface. It's ready to be used in (higher)
> education. Engineers do want something more practical here, don't they? Some
> something that plays together with all the professional tools out there.

I see the primary use case for the parts library as: you have a
datasheet, the part isn't in the library, you create a new part, inherit
the differential equations from a reference part, then add the
parameters from the datasheet, then try out your part in a few test
circuits to make sure that the curves it puts out are in the ballpark,
then party on...

A slightly less common use case is that you have a part that nobody's
even heard of, say the 71A. Lets say that there isn't even a DHT model
yet, so you create a new class called "DHT" then using a combination of
elemental properties (resistence, transconductance, capacitance) begin
to rough in a model for the part, then you'd have to go find the old
mathematical equations used to design the damn thing, enter those in,
and then try it out...

A more general issue in the simulator, is how nonlinear properties are
handled... For example, the grid of a typical tube will exponentially
begin to source a (classical) current to the cathode of the tube as its
voltage approaches and exceeds that of the cathode... Everyone knows how
to model linear stuff with matrices... I wonder if there is a similarly
elegant/generalizabile technique for simulating nonlinear components so
that the current iterative approach can be avoided...

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.