[Ktechlab-devel] New guy <--

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Thu Nov 6 15:53:21 UTC 2008

Hey Glen,
nice to hear, that you're interested in helping out on KTechLab.

On Thursday 06 November 2008 16:26:05 Glen wrote:
> This looks like... it has a TON of promise. I love the real-time
> oscilloscope and the simple way of dragging a component and hooking it up.
Yes, I also like the UI very much, that was also what attracted me some years
ago. And I'm quite sure, we can even make it better.

> I've got some C++ background mostly in QT3, a bit of OGL, and I'm a
> professional tech doc writer for a living who is very impatient with
> software so I tend to simplify the interfaces I write to the bare
> minimum while remaining complete. I'd love to contribute; this is a
> sweet-looking project.
>
> So the question is, what should I do and where should I start?
Well, you said you want new compontents to be implemented ;) Why not start
working on the simulator? I really think this one needs some love, too. Zoltan
and Alan did some work on it during the last weeks. Zoltan did some
refactoring and Alan is more into the "functional"-part. What do you think? Is
the simulator an interesting part for you?

> Incidentally, would there be any plans to implement free-rotation, so
> that the diodes in my bridge rectifier can actually be placed in the way
> they are normally drawn on a schem? gschem doesn't do it and I think
> qucs doesn't either.
I am currently working on all that. I haven't fully decided a way to got, yet.
But I know that we will make use of QGraphicsView in some form or another.
This makes every kind of graphics-manipulation very easy and fast and
everything ;) (including free-rotation) The problems I see here is how to
handle the routing of our "wires", but I guess there is some way to do it.

At the moment I'm working on refactoring and porting the whole
ProjectManagment-part to use KDE4 libraries. I got quite some stuff working
now, I hope, I can get something ready till the weekend. After being able to
load projects, I want to do some experiments with the QGraphicsView and so
find out a good way how to display our circuits.

bye then
julian