[Ktechlab-devel] KTechLab Project Shutdown

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Wed May 21 17:44:00 UTC 2008

Hi there,

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 Lawrence Shafer wrote:
>  As I said a long time ago on here, last time this was abandoned, I would
> be more than willing to host the site on my servers for free for as long as
> I'm in business. I run orbwireless.net so it don't see why it shouldn't
> last 10 years or more. It could also have a subdomain of my shaferlabs.org
> site so there would be a fallback if someone stopped paying for the
> ktechlab domain name, something like ktechlab.shaferlabs.org. I can also do
> the web development.  I may also be able to keep the domain name going,
> after all, it's only 6.85/month from ipower...
Thanks for your offer, and also thanks to everybody else for offering help
keeping the wiki and the website alive (naming Mauricio and Jonathan-David
here, I hope I haven't missed somebody). IMHO it's important that all the
wiki data isn't lost again, like it was the last time. So it would be really
cool, if you, or anybody, could set up a small webspace area, where we can
put the wiki.

Concerning the top-level domain: I don't think, we really need this to keep
the project up and running. It would be enough to have a sub-domain somewhere
and point there from sourceforge. In fact, I have got ktechlab.sf.net in my
bookmarks to go to the wiki and the project page. So ktechlab.org is just a
nice feature, that isn't really needed. What is needed is some space and a
webmaster, that helps to keep the stuff running.

>  Some info
>
>  I run Gentoo and Ubuntu linux on my servers.
>  I have a rack of 9 supermicro servers with plenty of disk space
>  I have good web connectivity (six 3Mb DSL lines with Cisco modems, load
> balanced)
>
>  So you can see I'm not a fly-by-night here today, gone tomorrow company.
>  Please let me know if I can be of assistance. This would be my long term
> gift to the OS community and I would love to do it. Sincerely
This sounds good to me, does this mean, you are willing to set up some space
for the project und put some free time into doing the webmaster job?

bye then
julian