[Ktechlab-devel] KTechLab Project Shutdown

Mauricio Giovagnini maugiovagnini at yahoo.com.ar
Wed May 21 13:39:23 UTC 2008

Jason Lucas escribió:

> Well, thanks for the input Guys. It's the busiest time the list has seen
> for a while! One thing that is most apparent is that we would all like
> to keen the project alive, but none of us have the time to do it. I'm
> surprised that there has been very little activity from the vast student
> population that uses OSS. Surely in this day and age, active involvement
> in an OSS project should be paramount in a degree student's portfolio.
> We have in the past been contacted by various educational establishments
> regarding the status of the project (check the list), yet none of them
> have actually bothered to to encourage their students to participate in
> OSS projects.
> We need to change the attitude of some of these educational
> establishments: to view participation in an OSS project as an integral
> part of the educational (and indeed the qualification) process.
> I hope that this will actually happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think I can do something about it.  Haven't tried as I
haven't been envolved in the project really, but the idea of
  loosing Ktechlab really was a trigger for me to
participate on it.

Im mostly an embedded developer right now but I've do pc
software too.

> On a personal note, I've found that on the verge of my 40th birthday, my
> wide ranging and extensive experience in IT is no longer valued, (try
> getting a job interview for an IT job at my age & you'll understand).

Wow... 40 years and you are considered ¿old? I though 40
year people would be the best as project leaders for
example, shorting application development times by guiding
the path to follow to the rest of the tema... Where do you
live Jason? where is that happening?

> So I'm now forced to re-skill, and to try my hand at another career.
> I've chosen Horticulture and Garden Design, It's a difficult change, but
> It least I'm spending much more time out in the open air & enjoying the
> outside life more than I ever done before.

Its nice to work in the open air... one friend of mine says
that we (electronic and/or software engineers) we are lab
rats as we are always on a room , not moving too much and
not knowing anyone.

> As for KTechLab, If you want the project to continue, I'd suggest that
> you select (by whatever means) a new project administrator (I'll help
> handle the project hand-over once that's decided) and recruit as many
> coders as you can (easier said than done, believe me.)

> I'd like to thank those that have offered to donate money to the
> project, however we really need coders, not money. (Unless anyone offers
> to pay our coders;)

Yes its true, the money to hold the project online is not
even closer to the one needed to pay a good programmer.

> Finally, I'd like to thank all of you that contributed to the project,
> and continue to do so. (Alan, Chitlesh, John et. al.)

Of course :) :)

> All the best, as I bow out of IT.

Jason sounds simply too sad for me and its frightening...
I'm 33 but time passes fast and what happens to you could
happen to me...  soon!

Have you considered working as an independent? having a
small company? or whatever? is it too tough where you live?

Talking about keeping the project alive and with more
support, I have some ideas too.  I've been in contact with
Jose Luis Galvez Lopez, an Spanish teacher who will
encourage his students to use Ktechlab.  This is a small
step, they will have the inconvenient of the language, Jose
work in the translation of the wiki (he has started with
such challenge) and I could do the same with the software
interface if needed/desired.

We could Open a Forum (SMF or whatever is chosen) to start
talking about recruiting new coders, the matters, new
challenges, bugs, test apps, etc.

Mauricio Giovagnini (Maunix)
www.maunix.com.ar
Cordoba, Arg.