[Ktechlab-devel] FEL: marketing opensource EDAs

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at waeckerlin.de
Mon Sep 10 20:09:07 UTC 2007

Hello there,

I'm looking for promotional materials about ktechlab or any opensource that I
could use for my new project "Fedora Electronic Lab".

Let me explain in more details:

Some may know I was working on providing alliance and pharosc on the next
Fedora 8 (for november).

My initial objectives were the Introduction to Application-Specific Integrated
Circuit (ASIC) Design Flow and the required tools available on the Fedora
Collection for ASIC Design Flow (for Micro-Nano Electronic Engineering) and
at the same time ensuring interoperability between packages.

After receiving some feedbacks from the fedora community, the objectives got
wider till a point that it was tagged with a name "Fedora Electronic Lab".
Now the latter covers every package for electronic simulation available under
the fedora umbrella. Last week, "Fedora Electronic Lab" was approved to be a
_feature_ for Fedora 8.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraElectronicLab

Fedora will be releasing customized livecd (and installable) only for
this FEL. If fedora does, then alliance will be on the livecd ! Unfortunately
pharosc is too huge [1] to fit in the livecd but will be available via yum.

some work has already been started:
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com/2007/09/creating-his-fedora-electronic-lab.html

List of rpms installed on the livecd (693MB)
http://chitlesh.fedorapeople.org/FEL/rpmlist

A development release was made last week:
http://torrent.fedoraproject.org
We are looking forward to release another test release along Fedora8Test2

Now, time has come to write documentations to show the world that :
* there are open source tools for electronic engineering
* there is an active and growing open source community (e.g this
mailing list is a perfect example)
* and the most important of all, real work can be achieved!

I'm using fedora ambassadors to go to major linux events (linuxtags,
linuxworldexpo...) and to talk about open source EDAs in order to
spread the word around the world.

Right now, I'm contacting every one from developers to users to tell
me (the intention of this email) :
* how they would market ktechlab or any opensource EDA they use
* whether they already have slides they want to share
* what are the products/projects you have accomplished and that you
are proud of it
* if you are using these tools in your company, tell me :) I may add
the name of your company in my slides (IF you want) thus doing free
publicity for you.
* if you are using these tools in your university or education institutions,
I'll be more than happy to hear from them.

I'll be gathering these information from various open source projects
and will try to merge all these into one big slide. Thus,
* I can guide the fedora ambassadors so that they can spread the right
word about these tools
* any one can use this big slide for other presentations (not only
people from fedora)

any comment is welcome.

thanks,
Chitlesh

#[1]
 pharosc                 noarch     8.3-1.fc7        installed          62 k
 pharosc-alliance        noarch     8.3-1.fc7        installed          49 M
 pharosc-alliance-devel  noarch     8.3-1.fc7        installed         1.1 M
 pharosc-doc             noarch     8.3-1.fc7        installed          52 M
 pharosc-magic           noarch     8.3-1.fc7        installed         156 M
 pharosc-magic-devel     noarch     8.3-1.fc7        installed         123 M
 pharosc-synopsys        noarch     8.3-1.fc7        installed          10 M
 pharosc-xcircuit        noarch     8.3-1.fc7        installed          11 M
--
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com