[Ktechlab-devel] Domain

Mauricio Giovagnini maugiovagnini at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Apr 19 12:21:29 UTC 2007

Julian Bäume escribió:
> Hi,
> Am Donnerstag, 19. April 2007 13:29:34 schrieb Mauricio Giovagnini:
>
>> I mean , for example, considering wxWidgets instead?
>> http://www.wxwidgets.org/
>>
> i think this is no choice for us, since ktechlab is a KDE application. KDE is
> based on Qt framework and the new version of KDE will be based on Qt4.3.
> Changing the gui framework is not as easy as you might think ;). Porting to
> Qt4 or better KDE4 is much easier.
>
> bye then
> julian

Thanks Julian, I didn't meant to that it will be an easy task, I was
just wondering why not using another set of libraries.

QT is nice but one of the things that made Gnome come to life it was
just its legal/licensing limitations when doing a commercial application

Ktechklab is meant to be open source so no matter with that, but what if
some company decides to give support to Ktechlab? Not now, but may be in
the near future... who knows... some add-on to some specific feature.
Then they will have to deal with the QT legal stuff.

As I said i didnt made graphical applications under linux so I don't
have any background about that, but as a user i've seen many
applications running on both graphical interfaces (gnome and kde)

I agree to use QT, I don't disagree at all and I don't want to reinvent
the wheel.  I was just wondering... "thinking in loud voice" :-)
why not considering another choice...