[Ktechlab-devel] Some brainstorming...

David Saxton david at bluehaze.org
Wed Jan 11 17:56:56 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 01:13, Thomas Winkel wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> I have done some brainstorming and would like to present the findings.
> Some of the ideas might be too hard to implement, stupid, or just the
> unrealistic dreams of an enthusiastic KTechlab user.
> But maybe some of them are good can help to make an great app even
> better. Take it as basis for discussion.

Cool. I've picked out some ones for discussion ;)

> * Zoom in/out by mouse-scrolling (like in cadsoft/eagle)
Good idea. I've implemented zooming in/out by Ctrl+Mouse-Scroll.

> * Copy & paste an object by Strg + left mouse buttom and move.
>   Object should inherit parents property.
I don't understand - what is "Strg"?

> * Shortcuts should be consistent to other KDE apps. While translating I
>   noticed, breakpoint setting ist different from kdbg, for example.
It's also inconsistent with kdevelop (ktechlab uses "set breakpoint" and
"clear breakpoint", kdbg uses "set/clear breakpoint", and kdevelop uses
"toggle breakpoint") - so there isn't really any consistent KDE setting
(maybe this should be a bug forwarded to KDE...).

I decided to go with "set breakpoint" and "clear breakpoint" as this at least
makes it consistent with setting and clearing bookmarks.

> * Embed HTML pages in context help in order to allow formulas,
>   example circuits, truth-tables, PIC instruction-set tables and
>   continuative web links.
The context help is already capable of displaying rich text, including tables
and images (and if more advanced displaying is needed, it would be very easy
to use KHTML for viewing html...).

The main problem is getting the help written (any volunteers? :) )

> * Make oscilloscope look&feel like a real digital storage oscilloscope
electronerd is improving the oscilloscope at the moment, so hopefully that'll
make it loads better :)

> * Allow alternative symbols (US/European, for example) as option

As far as I'm aware, US/European symbols differ only on resistors and logic
gates? Configurability should be easy to implement...

> * Create subCircuits by:
>   - marking an wired area
>   - right-click -> Create Sub Circuit
>   (like in Simulink)
Already possible - as long as the selection has an "External Connection"
component in it. However, I've just realised that this feature (at least in
0.3) is hidden if there aren't any "External Connection" components in the
selection - which isn't very discoverable (poor usability...) - so I've
changed it so that the create subcircuit option is disabled instead of
hidden.

> * I want to see a soldering gun instead of the pen for routing!!! :)
Any good artists on the mailing list? The KDE standard icon set doesn't seem
to include a soldering iron...