Exposure Calculator

joseph.mcgee at sbcglobal.net joseph.mcgee at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 18 10:46:23 BST 2023

Hello Hy,

I was planning on working on edits to the handbook but I recently became
obsessed with trying to build a camera sensor analyzer to help determine
read-noise values for cameras that do not include it in the manufacturer
documentation the way that ZWO and QHY cameras do.

But I've attached a pdf that is a rough draft of docs for the
calculator, (not really complete yet, and some of it is now incorrect
due to some design changes), so the attached doc probably won't fully
answer all of your questions.

Yes, the filter bandwidth is nm.  So 300 is essentially luminance, RGB
would be roughly 100, etc.

To help clarify, during my research on this exposure calculator topic I
came across a forum post with a chart.  The photographer in this case
indicated that he was imaging in Bortle 5.5 skies, *but with a f/3.0
optic*, he provided the following chart for his exposures:

So you can see that his luminance exposure times with a gain of 0 with a
Moravian C3 camera were just 13 seconds, (but he is only running 561
exposures).   When he runs with a gain of 2800 (which is beyond a
step-down in read-noise on his camera), the luminance exposure time
drops all the way down to 2 seconds.

His RGB exposures at gain 0, are just 39 seconds with 187 exposures per
channel.  He doesn't get into "long-ish" exposures until he is running
narrow-band.

That would lead us to your 2nd point.  The stack time is merely the
product of the exposure time & number of exposures. This would be
analogous to the "signal". Stack noise represents the total noise in the
stack, but keep in mind that noise is reduced in proportion to square
root of the number of images.  The ratio column represents ratio of
stack time to noise.  So think of ratio as being a simple measure of
"quality" for the stacked image.  But my docs do not elaborate on a
reasonable value for the ratio.  My understanding from posts about Dr
Glover's calculations are that a ratio greater than 80 would be
considered extremely good, and a ratio of 100 is excellent.

I was giving some thought altering the calculator grid display to make
it graphical. Perhaps allowing a user to select a desired ratio, and the
calculator simple would display a small chart to better show whether the
curve is reaching a point of diminishing returns for an increase in
stack time.

In your example I think that the calculation is showing that a planned
stack time of 20 hours may be a bit excessive; and that your are
basically onto the part of the curve where there is very diminishing
returns for the increase in stack size.  You could achieve a ratio of
100 on these 12 second luminance exposures with just 12 hours of exposures.

But also consider that running the gain lower, maybe even at 0 might be
reasonable in this case.   The exposure times would rise into the 30
second range and with the lower gain, the dynamic range on the image
should improve.  Also be aware that the "noise increase" value can be
adjusted, 5% is recommended default. In my opinion lowering the "noise
increase" might make sense in your case.

Also, in the chart from the forum post, the column listed for "Noise
Tolerance Factor C" is inversely related to the "noise increase" control
in this calculator.  The Factor C value of 25 on his chart is a noise
increase of 2%, the Factor C value of 10 on the chart is a noise
increase of 5% .  Given that that calculator provided you with a
exposure time that seems "short", you could afford to reduce the Noise
Increase %.

So, if you were to change to a 1% noise increase, and lowered the gain
to 0, the exposure time would rise to 170 seconds, and as a result 11
hours of imaging, 232 exposures would produce a ratio of 100 in the
stacked image.

And with regard to the excess precision on the UI, I agree I went a bit
extreme on decimal places. But as I was testing I was frequently trying
to match the calculator results with data I found on images posted in
forums. In some cases to match up those values I needed the extra
precision.  I can certainly reduce the precision in a future release.

One more comment... multiple instances of the calculator can be run
concurrently to allow for easy side-by-side comparisons with alternate
inputs.