3.6.1 testing bugs

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Sat Sep 17 11:01:34 BST 2022

Regarding options, there has been some changes in this version to support
Global and Per-Train settings.

For any item like the kstars.kcfg file that has a corresponding GUI item
not handled by KConfig, it should be handled as follows. The GUI item is
named exactly like the field name in kstars.kcfg but with the first letter
always being lower case.

This way, we can call Options::self()->setProperty(name, value)

For example, the reason the refresh algorithm was not saved was because the
first letter was not lower case (I just corrected that). So in kstars.kcfg
it is: PAHRefreshAlgorithm while in the GUI it should be pAHRefreshAlgorithm

Why is this useful? Two folds:

1. All global settings are now *automatically* saved. No need to explicitly
call Options::setFOO(....). The only reason we need to call Options::setFOO
directly is for the non-GUI options (for example, those handled by KConfig
or non-GUI at all).
2. All per-train settings are also automatically saved. You changed the
refresh algorithm while using the Primary train? Now Primary train will
*remember* this setting in addition to the setting saved in the *global*
settings. Now if you switch to Secondary train, the same option is kept as
is. But if you explicitly change the setting while in the secondary train,
then IT IS saved for this particular train.

This immediately resolves all the settings woes we had in the previous
versions. Everything automatically saves thanks with Q_PROPERTY and
KConfigSkeleton support for this. I've wanted to do this for a long time
but there was an architecture limitation that stopped me from adopting this
earlier. The biggest limitation we have now is that it doesn't work on
32bit systems. The only 32bit system is armhf (I don't think anyone uses
x86-32 nowadays), but I think it's time to move on now that arm64 is truly
mainstream.

--
Best Regards,
Jasem Mutlaq