Creating flats with less then 16 bit cameras does no longer work

Patrick Molenaar pr_molenaar at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 06:32:35 GMT 2022

Hi,

Recently I have upgraded to the latest version of KStars, which has the very nice feature implemented to automatically create darkflats based on automated flats. I have been using the automated flat function for a while now, but noticed that with the new release it does no longer work with my camera.

I am using a Canon 350D camera, which is a 12 but camera. When I try to set it to 12 bits in the Ekos configuration, it forces it to 8 bit, I can't get it any higher. I read somewhere that the bitdepth of the camera is always rounded to a power of 8 to match the fits images.

To make automated flats, I usually set the exposure time to 1 second, set a ADU to 250 (max=4096) and the tollerance to 25. That gave me good flats. However when I now use these settings, it does take a picture, but then complains that it can't calculate the ADU for 8-bit images. I have tried to set it back to Native in the capture tab, and in the Ekos image configuration tab for my camera, but it didn't make any difference. I remember something that it complained that it couldn't calculate the ADU from the native images too, but am not sure of that. The final result is that I can't use the automated flat option anymore 🙁

I doing something wrong, or is the option only available for camera's which are 16 bit or higher. That would be a pitty, it was such a usefull function.

Kind regards,

Patrick