Problems with KStars 3.5.7 on macOS

Bill Tschumy bill at otherwise.com
Sun Mar 6 00:44:55 GMT 2022

Rob,

Thanks for responding.  I hated being critical because I’m sure many people have worked really hard on this.  But it just seems like many things aren’t working as I’d expect.  The extra downloads are one thing.  I’m also a bit surprised by the identification of stars.  I will hover over a star and I get “star: 4.8m”.  I have to bring up the Info pane to see what star it is.  Now maybe I can understand this with stars from the USNO catalog that just have a long designation.  But these are Hipparcos and HD stars.  Why aren’t they named in the hover display and in the status bar (which just says “star”).

Also not sure how you are supposed to select things like open clusters to get more information.  Now sometimes I don’t even get the dotted ring around the cluster and I think KStars has forgotten that I’ve download the NGC info.  Even if there is the dotted ring, clicking in it doesn’t seem to select the cluster.  How do I bring up info on this?

I’m just wondering if something is really broken on my installation (although I’ve installed on two machines with the same result).

Just so you know, I’m one of the primary authors of SkySafari so much of my expectations are the result of that and other planetarium programs I’ve used.

Bill

--
Bill Tschumy
Otherwise -- Longmont, CO