Problems with KStars 3.5.7 on macOS

Bill Tschumy bill at otherwise.com
Sat Mar 5 22:25:07 GMT 2022

I seem to be having numerous problems with KStars 3.5.7 on Mac.  I’ve tried it on the latest macOS (12.2.1) as well as one two years old (10.15.7).

I’ve tried downloading the “Extra Data”, both from the Startup Wizard and from the Data menu item.  I will install something and then later, when I go back it says it is uninstalled.  Some of the larger downloads will say “Installing…” but then al of the sudden say "Install Again”.  Often if I install again it will indicate it is installed.

I have downloaded the USNO stars and initially is said it was installed.  However, if I go back now it says for me to install them.  Yet if I zoom in, I do see 14th mag stars so it really is installed.

I have been trying to get the inline thumbnails to install, but they never show up in the chart.  I did see them at one point while playing around,  but now they are gone.

Clicking the Help button in the Configure window (shown by choosing Preferences…) causes the app to hang.

Things just seem really flakey.

Bill

--
Bill Tschumy