(poorly) re-setting the target

Hy Murveit murveit at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 18:34:22 BST 2021

The other night I saw my image move several arc-minutes after a meridian
flip.
After putting in some extra log statements and re-running last night, I
traced the image issue to the following.

Align::syncTargetToMount()
https://invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/blob/master/kstars/ekos/align/align.cpp#L3825
resets the target on some capture status change (which I'm assuming happens
because I was running with scheduler mode "Repeat until Terminated" and the
scheduler job completed and started its repeat, and that caused the capture
status change). If the target isn't used anymore, then this target change
is harmless, but if there's a meridian flip, then it would be used again
and can move the image position.

I don't understand this code well, but* it seems to me that this is a bug.*
The target is set by the user in the scheduler -- e.g. a certain
coordinate, or the solution of a certain fits file -- and the mount has
nothing to do with that, at least if we're plate solving to refine the
position.  Is there any good reason to reset the target position in the
above code link?

Hy