Scheduler not parking mount

Hans hans at lambermont.dyndns.org
Mon Mar 15 10:42:11 GMT 2021

Hy Murveit wrote on 20210313:

> Eric,
>
> Every now and then I wake up to find my telescope not parked. See the
> screenshot below:
> [image: Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 8.44.38 AM.png]
> I guess the job didn't "finish", and so it got rescheduled for tomorrow,
> but the telescope was left tracking and Indi was left connected:
> [image: Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 8.47.00 AM.png]
> I expected the mount to be parked in the morning (I checked the "park
> mount" options on the "observatory shutdown" options).
>
> Here's the Analyze view:
> [image: Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 8.50.37 AM.png]
>
> Is not parking a bug, or is this operating as expected, or is this user
> error?

It's a bug. Of the biggest class possible because it endangers the equipment.
You did not mention your roof or dome, assuming you have one. Was that closed ?

I said it's a bug but I fear that it's a tad bigger than that. I think error
state handling in many of these 'edge cases' is just missing as we're still
quite occupied with getting the various happy paths working right.
This is not intended as negative criticism, I just want to flag it.

As a stop-gap attempt I wrote ekos-sentinel that should park mounts and close
roofs when weather conditions or other alarms flag an unsafe situation. It's
not perfect either (and I have not tested it with latest ekos version) but it
has helped me several times in the past.

-- Hans