Overlays not visible in latest stable KStars release on Raspberry Pi

Patrick Molenaar pr_molenaar at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 06:29:23 GMT 2021

Hi,

On March 2nd I updated my Raspberry PI 3 to the latest stable release of KStars (v3.5.2). Great new features are available now, especially the split vectors of the polar alignment are very useful!
However, when I tried to use the polar align tool I noticed that the image overlays (like the bullseye or the polar align grid and polar align displacement vectors) are not shown. The captured image of my camera is shown correctly, but whatever I try, I don't get the overlays to show.
I also notice that after some taking images in the focus tool, the resolution of my images gets decreased drastically, causing the Bahtinov focus pattern to be blurred in such a way that it becomes real hard to get it in focus.

Could these issues be the result of the image compression algorithm that was introduced for low-memory devices? If so, is it possible to disable this feature? Because unfortunately with the new release, the focus and polar align is no longer operable.

If not, then how can I provide more information to be able to solve this issue?

When I tried to use KStars on my pc with my raspberry pi 3 connected to my setup remotely, then the features work perfectly. However, with my pc being located at the first floor and my setup being located in my back yard, manual focus and polar alignment become a real intensive workout when for each adjustment I have to run up and down the stars to see if I got my setup focused and polar aligned correctly.

I hope there is a solution to get the image overlays working on my raspberry pi 3 again.

Kind regards,
Patrick