Artificial Horizon

Hy Murveit murveit at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 06:07:24 BST 2021

I worked on this and came up with a solution I like, that I've put in MR 263
https://invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/263

The scheduler integration was straightforward...basically this is the same
as the min-altitude constraints that already work fine. It's just that the
scheduler needs to pass the azimuth it's considering as well into a method
I created that computes the altitude constraint for the given azimuth.

I modified the Artificial Horizon UI and feature (with Jasem's blessing).
It now does not represent polygons at all, but rather a sequence of points
defining line segments in azimuth/altitude coordinates (above it in
altitude is clear, below is obstructed). If there are multiple lines, use
the highest. Entering the points for the line segments is easy...you can
enter the points by clicking on the skymap--easy, that is, if you've also
created a terrain backgound for your location (my previous MR) so that it's
obvious where the obstructions are.

I'd like to add some unit testing, but other than that, seems to work.
Testing tonight with my telescope -- gave it some targets with the
obstruction issues, and the scheduler seems to be figuring things out.

Check it out, and let me know what you think.
Hy

PS That new feature to append scheduler jobs came in handy. Hadn't used it
before. Eric--Thanks for that!