Observation workflows in KStars -- looking for feedback and ideas

Valentin valentin at boettcher.cf
Sat Oct 31 22:30:57 GMT 2020

Hi,
Just a quick remark without having read the whole thing yet.

It would be great if the observation log and info wasn't stored in the sky object itself, because in the new catalog system it isn't guaranteed that there is a unique instance of that object.

On October 31, 2020 11:16:51 PM GMT+01:00, Akarsh Simha <akarshsimha at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> importing the objects you wish to see from your wish list into your
>>> "session plan". KStars automatically assigns the upper meridian
>transit
>>> time on the night of observation (I suspect this is currently
>broken) as
>>> the observing time for each object.
>>> 3. Before you go out to a dark place, while you still have fast
>internet
>>> access, download any reference images you need from the DSS
>>> 4. On the observing field, sort the observing session plan by
>observation
>>> time. A special sorting filter sorts it from evening to morning.
>>> 5. Work through your objects in order.
>>> I have a tendency to pack my night with as many objects as I can
>possibly
>>> observe, and I imagined that the above workflow would maximize my
>>> efficiency.
>>>
>>> After trying this out on the field a few times, though, I found it
>very
>>> sub-par for visual observing. The reason is, it is difficult to
>estimate
>>> correctly how long it takes to observe an object. And the above is
>not
>>> robust to, let's say, losing half an hour due to dinner. Moreover,
>for
>>> those of us who observe with Dobsonians, sometimes meridian transit
>is a
>>> very inconvenient time to observe an object because of the singular
>motion
>>> of azimuth around the zenith ("Dobson's Hole" / "the Dob hole").
>>>
>>> So I later came up with the following workflow that only involves
>the
>>> "Wish List":
>>> 1. Whenever you come across an object that interests you, add it to
>your
>>> Wish List.
>>> 2. Before you go out to a dark place, while you still have fast
>internet
>>> access, download any reference images you need from the DSS
>>> 3. On the observing field, sort the _wish list_ by % of max.
>altitude
>>> achieved at current time, while demoting the objects that are in the
>hole.
>>> 4. At any given time, pick your favorites amongst the top 5 or 10
>objects
>>> in the sorted list and observe it.
>>>
>>> I have found the above wishlist-based workflow exceptional for
>visual
>>> observing. So much so that I am tempted to deprecate the session
>plan
>>> workflow, but I do think:
>>> (a) The session plan workflow is much better suited for imaging /
>>> scientific observations
>>> (b) There might still be people out there using the session plan
>workflow
>>> so I do think we should still retain it.
>>>
>>> Now, finally, I have a few more itches to scratch with the wishlist
>>> 1. Wish list grows to unmanageable sizes very quickly.