Observation workflows in KStars -- looking for feedback and ideas

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Sat Oct 31 12:30:11 GMT 2020

Hello Akarsh,

I agree that the observing wizard is due for a revamp! The GUI itself could
reuse some design as well. With one object occupying a single row that
includes all information, including a view for Alt vs Time for EACh object
(so you can compare a few against each other). Furthermore, I think it
should also cater now to astrophotography use. For this to work, I have a
couple of ideas:

1. Filter by Band: Broadband vs Narrow band targets.
2. Filter by size: Show objects that fit within say 60% to 120% of the FOV.
So they're not too small or too big to image. Of course, this is only
applicable to extended objects with known angular resolutions.

Also, I think instead of having to use the wizard page-by-page to produce
this, these should always be accessible to filter from. So no more wizard,
but controls to filter ALL the objects. Since we're limited by memory, we
only show the first 100 or so applicable objects by default, and perhaps
this can be increased. So we can have these filters:

1. Type: Stars, Planets, Nebulae..etc
2. Band: RGB, Narrowband..etc
3. Size: arcmins steps? maybe have option for "camera FOV" as well which is
auto-calculated from INDI.
4. Region (Constellation or NSWE)
5. Magnitude
6. Altitude